At Ponte Vedra Family Dentistry, we strive to provide your child with a comfortable and reassuring place to take care of their toothaches. Keeping your child’s teeth healthy is a key part of their overall well-being and helps ensure they have continued dental health as they grow. We provide care for a variety of dental issues such as braces and teeth extraction and when you need a Ponte Vedra dentist you can depend on, we’re here to help. As a parent, you want your child to be free of pain and dental issues can be quite uncomfortable. Toothaches are a common cause of dental pain in children and knowing how to approach these symptoms can help keep your child comfortable until they can visit a pediatric dentist.
Reducing Pain From a Toothache
If your child has a toothache that isn’t going away, or you notice damage to their teeth, you should make an appointment with a dentist as soon as possible. If your child is having pain from a toothache, the following remedies can help make the pain more manageable as treatment is being sought.
- A Salt Water Rinse: warmed water with salt added is a common cure for tooth pain. The reason this treatment is so common is that salt water helps fight bacteria and, in many cases, bacteria is the root cause of tooth pain. Also, warm water can help soothe the gums and reduce swelling. A mix of half a teaspoon of salt for every eight ounces of water can create this simple cure.
- Cold Compress: a cold compress such as an icepack can help reduce the pain caused by a toothache. This helps reduce swelling in the mouth and numbs the infected area, reducing pain and discomfort. Cold compresses should only be used for 15 to 20 minutes at a time with breaks taken after use.
- Heat: in some cases, a hot compress can be more effective than a cold compress. Heat can help soothe sore gums and the muscles in the mouth and surrounding areas. If a cold compress isn’t helping, consider a simple homemade warm compress which can be made with a warmed wet towel.
- Non-Prescription Medications: over-the-counter children’s pain relievers can help reduce the pain from a toothache. Typically, pain relievers that focus on reducing inflammation are advisable as toothaches can cause gum and mouth inflammation.
- Clove Oil: this is a natural treatment that provides similar results to gels designed to treat toothaches. Clove oil can be applied to a cotton ball and carefully applied to the sore gums and teeth. This creates a numbing effect that makes the toothache easier to manage.
Causes of Toothaches
A toothache can have an assortment of causes. Typically, a toothache is caused by a cavity or tooth decay. When your child has signs of tooth decay. However, to a dentist as this indicates a bacterial infection, however, pain reduction can help your child manage the symptoms as you bring them to the dentist. There are other causes of toothaches that are not related to cavities. These can include a crack in the tooth, gingivitis impacting the gums, grinding teeth, natural sensitivity, and other types of injuries to the teeth. No matter the cause of your child’s tooth pain, we can help you with treatment and the next best steps in continued care.
When Your Child Needs Dental Care
When you need a dentist Ponte Vedra, we’re here to help. At Ponte Vedra Family Dentistry, we specialize in providing dental care that puts your child at ease and provides dental care, making use of the newest and best techniques. We want to be your Ponte Vedra complete dentistry. Contact us today to learn more about our services and how we can help your child have better dental health. We look forward to hearing from you.